Day 4 in the Series of 50 Tips to get you Rocking Your Role in Work & Life.
We’ve focused on Time, healthy diet and body, and I hope that you’ve found the tips useful. Clients tell me that a cluttered work or home space really does detract from them Rocking their Role in life, but yet they procrastinate about doing something about it. Here are some ideas on how you can tackle that dreaded clutter once and for all.
Clutter often results in things in not being able to find things you need quickly, or having to reinvent documents or repurchase items. Even though we know this, de cluttering can still feel overwhelming, so taking it in small steps is important to make progress.
- Give yourself 5 solid minutes a day of de clutter – don’t try and do it all at once, you can do a lot in 5 minutes, make it count
- Take one room at time – just focus on one room, or filing cabinet and work on that not worrying about what else might be left to do. Once you achieved some success it will encourage you to move on
- Fill one rubbish bag away of unwanted items – rather than focussing on the clutter, you can focus on the receptacle. You can target yourself with filling a bag a day of rubbish until all the clutter is gone, this will help you to be ruthless with your se cluttering decisions
- Give something away each day – your clutter could be someone else’s most precious gift. Enjoy giving and making others happy with your clutter rather than it gathering dust with you
- If you haven’t used something for the last 12 months, check if you need it. Ok you’re saving it for a rainy day, but will that day ever come and will you be able to find it when that day does?
- Rotate clothes in your wardrobe, according to the season. Wardrobes quickly get cluttered, just leave what you need in the wardrobe and each season bring out that seasons items
- Set a target to raise money for charity from your un wanted items. Once you pledge it publicly you’ll have to do it
- Archive old paperwork and bills. You need to keep essential paperwork but with so much online now, check what you can discard or put away, especially if its over 10 years old
- Hold an open house and sell off unwanted items. If you have a lot of items to get rid of, consider having an open house with refreshments and nibbles for your guests to create a personal shopping experience
- Give everything a place, so that you can find things when you need it. Label boxes, categorise items, it may sound like a chore but imagine how much easier your life will be when its done.
Get de cluttering. Tomorrows focus will be on Rocking You.
For even more practical tips to craft the life you want, join me on the 6th March in Solihull for an ILM MasterClass on Rocking Your Role in Work & Life
Jenny Garrett is the Executive Coach and founder of Rocking Your Role.com