Sheryl Sandberg is currently advocating in her book Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead, that women should go towards opportunities. I agree that women shouldn’t hold themselves back, but I think that there are times when women should retreat.
You see going full steam ahead without conscious thought, enough physical, spiritual or psychological resource, can be more damaging than doing nothing.
Have you ever?
- been up all night with poorly children and then had to work the next day
- had to deal with a family or relationship crisis while being all smiles at work
- felt unwell but afraid to take a day off
The fact is on days like those above, the answer is not to lean in, but retreat.
Think of it like a battle, when your soldiers are injured and depleted you don’t go into attack, do you?
The dictionary defines ‘retreat ‘as
*The act or process of withdrawing, especially from something hazardous, formidable, or unpleasant.
*A place affording peace, quiet, privacy, or security
*A period of seclusion, retirement, or solitude.
*Withdrawal of a military force from a dangerous position or from an enemy attack.
Sometimes you need to go back to go forward, so you at least have a fighting chance.
Retreating is the answer if:
- You are at a turning point in your life
- Seeking clarity or insight
- Wanting to dive deeply within
- You want to reconnect your inner life to your outer life
- Slowing your life down
- Needing rest, deep relaxation, healing and rejuvenation
How you do it is your choice, but here are a five ideas:
- Getting closer to nature
- Meditating/Mindfulness practice
- Taking a few days to take part in a retreat
When you are back to feeling fully resourceful and know what you want, then of course, take Sheryl’s advice and Lean In.
From the 11th-15th July, I will be leading a Life Coaching Retreat at the Premier Luxury Mountain Resort, Bansko, Bulgaria. Come along to Relax, Re-energise and Refocus. See this video for more information
I am Jenny Garrett, Executive Coach, founder of Reflexion Associates, a leadership and coaching consultancy and author or Rocking Your Role – the how to guide to success for female breadwinners. Find out more about me, my programmes, speaking engagements and training at rockingyourrole.com and sign up for my newsletter